First thing a kindergarten teacher needs to do, is to get a carpet or rug and make your circle on it. It needs to big enough to hold all students, but small enough to have students and teacher close together. Starting off your kindergarten day with circle time is a great way to transition your kindergarteners into the learning day. However, you can devise a circle time at just about any time of the day in your kindergarten classroom.
When your kindergarten students arrive, you probably have them do a little free play as they wait for all students to show up. When all are there, now your kindergarten can start your circle time!
You may have a bell to ring, or even play a song to let your kindergarteners know that it is now circle time.
Each day you will choose different kindergarteners in your class to lead all circle time activities. I would choose a different student for each activity, but many kindergarten teachers choose one student to all circle time activities.
Instead fof sitting down first, you can call one of your kindergarteners to get a flag and they can recite the pledge. Then all students sit.
The Calendar and kindergarten Circle Time
A calendar for kindergarten circle time is a must. You can get a large blank one where each day and month can be either pinned up or otherwise attached, and taken down when the month changes. Many kindergarten teachers use pointers for some of their circle time activities.
If it is a new month, the month's name should be written on a card, shown to the students, and all say the name. Then choose a kindergartener to stick it on the calendar. If it is not a new month, your kindergarteners repeat the name when you point at it.
You can do the day of the week next. These will probably be permanent on your calendar. Use the pointer or choose a kindergartener to point to all days and say the names. Ask what day is today.
Next up for your little kindergarteners is the numerical date. Again, these are numbers that can be pinned up and taken down when the month changes. Choose a kindergartener to put the number up. Show it first, have them repeat it.
The Weather and kindergarten Circle Time
Have a chart similar to a calendar. Have many cut outs to represent rain, sun, clouds, cold, etc. Choose a kindergartener to pick what the weather is and put this up.
Other kindergarten Circle time Activity Suggestions
Have a large board or something similar that you can post things on a daily basis. Have a good selection of kindergarten songs and music.
- Play a song that has motions. Very important for kindergarteners to be active.
- Play a learning song that kindergarteners can learn quick and sing along.
- Have large letter cut outs. Pick a 'letter of the day' to be repeated by your kindergarteners and put up on the board.
- Have large kindergartener appropriate words on cards. Choose a word of the day and let a kindergartener put this on the board as well.
- During kindergarten circle time, it is a great idea for all students to say the names of everyone as you or a student points to them.
- kindergarten circle time can also be used to read a story. Have lots of kindergarten books!
- Make a magic wand. Something simple, a small stick with a star on the end. Choose a kindergartener to use this magic wand and point to students one by one to return to their seats or go to the next activity.
Common Problems of Kindergarten - Effective ways of dealing with the top problems in a kindergarten classroom.
The Kindergarten Classroom - What makes a good kindergarten teacher?
What to tell parents - Parents of kindergarteners have questions. Do you have the answers?
How to get kindergarteners to listen - Kindergarteners are active and it can be difficult to get them to really pay attention to a teacher.
Making Kindergarteners Future Learners - Kindergarten teachers are the first teachers. After being in your class, will they be ready, willing, and able to learn in future grades?
Nurturing Kindergarten Readers - The basic building blocks of reading are a neccessity for kindergarten. Get them to love reading!
Circle Time Activities - Circle time is a great time to teach, model, interact, socialize, and more!